HHS 350 in Dublin, Ireland, is a 3-unit course that fulfills the CHHS International Experience requirement, SDSU GE Explorations Area B (Social and Behavioral Sciences) requirement, and the Cultural Diversity requirement.
The course consists of both a travel component and a lecture component.
Students will take part in a 9-day faculty-led travel experience in Dublin, Ireland, August 1-9, 2020. The travel portion will include both cultural visits as well as academic visits relating to health and social services in Greece. Below is a sample of some of the cultural and academic visits (to be confirmed):
- Guided city tour
- Lecture on Self-Care for Carers
- Gaelic Games Experience
- Visit to Croke Park Museum and Stadium
- Lecture on Health System and Public Health Organizations in Ireland
- Visit to National Rehabilitation Hospital
- Visit to HIV Ireland
- Visit to National Sport Campus
- Visit to Coolmine Ashleigh House
- Visit to Irish Wheelchair Association
- Cooking/Food experience
Students will enroll in HHS 350 in Fall 2020. HHS 350 is a 3-unit online course that covers the following topics:
- Historical aspects of international health and human services
- Economic development and health and social science
- Nutrition in a developing country
- Globalization, health, and HIV/AIDS
Application and Pre-departure Timeline:
Applications will be done through Aztecs Abroad. Check the timeline below for more details.
- Graduating seniors will be given priority
Students are also required to attend a two pre-departure sessions after confirming their spot on an HHS 350 program. These sessions will be run by the group leaders and cover information about the country’s culture, health and safety and logistics.
|Applications Open on Aztecs Abroad||February 5th at 8:30 AM|
|Applications Close||February 7th at 11:59 PM|
|Application Decisions Released||February 11th at 12:00 PM|
|Program Fee (non-refundable) due in Cashier’s Office||No later than February 21st at 10:00 AM|
|Final Waitlist Information Sent Out||February 23rd at 10:00 AM|
|Registration in HHS Course on Campus Fall 2020||April registration for fall 2020 course|
|Mandatory Pre-departure Session 1||April 24th 1:00 – 3:00 PM|
|Mandatory Pre-departure Session 2||April 1st 1:00 – 3:00 PM|
|Travel Occurs||August 1st – August 9th, 2020|
$1,408-$1,595 (final price based on total student enrollment). The program fee is due in full to the Cashier’s Office by February 21, 2020, at 10:00 AM.
The program fee includes:
- In-country transportation
- Some meals (see below)
- In-country guides
- All cultural and academic site visits
The program fee does NOT include:
- SDSU Fall 2020 tuition for enrollment in lecture portion of HHS 350
- Mandatory $60 international travel insurance
- Some meals (see below)
- Spending money
- Passport costs (if you need to apply for a passport)
Students will be housed at University College Dublin, in twin-occupancy rooms with shared bathrooms.
A welcome meal and farewell meal are included in the price. Other meals are not covered as part of the program fee.
**NOTE: Program itinerary subject to change**