Applying to the program is a multiple-step process. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Be sure you meet the admission requirements before beginning the application process.
The Supplemental Program Application (Interfolio) and the Cal State Apply applications may be filled out concurrently.
1) Contact Us
- Prospective applicants should email email@example.com stating interest in the program and await instructions PRIOR to beginning steps 2 to 4 below.
2) Submit the Cal State Apply Online Application (between October 1, 2019 and March 2, 2020)
- When applying through Cal State Apply, please select: “Interdisciplinary Research on Substance Use” as the major.
- An application fee applies.
- A SDSU “RED ID” number will be assigned which allows tracking of application status online.
- Once you have submitted your Cal State Apply application, a prompt will be given to continue on to Interfolio.
NOTE: The fee to apply is now $70.
3) Submit Official Test Scores and Official Transcripts to SDSU Graduate Admission
- Official GRE (and if applicable, TOEFL) test scores must be sent by ETS directly to SDSU (institution code 4682).
- Official transcripts from all colleges attended must be mailed to:
SDSU Graduate Admissions
5500 Campanile Drive
San Diego, CA 92182-7416
4) Submit the Supplemental Program Application via Interfolio.
- Required Documents:
- Statement of Purpose
- Unofficial Transcripts (for all colleges/universities attended)
- Three Letters of Recommendation (requested through Interfolio)
- Writing Sample
NOTE: Please DO NOT send any application materials to UC San Diego at this time. AFTER you are selected for admission to the Joint Doctoral Program you will be required to complete a UC San Diego application. Only those students who are admitted to the program and elect to come need to complete the UC San Diego application process. After formal notification from SDSU, students will receive material from UC San Diego.