Interested in participating in an independent international volunteer, internship, or service-learning program over winter or summer break? Complete an approved program and earn SDSU credit through the College of Health & Human Services!
Check out volunteer, internship and service-learning opportunities:
- International Volunteer HQ (IVHQ) (You can also find information on Aztecs Abroad )
- Intern Abroad HQ
- CIS Abroad
- Study in Portugal Network SIPN
- CHHS students wishing to fulfill their International Experience Graduation Requirement MUST earn academic credit in conjunction with these programs.
- Enroll in HHS 350 a 3-credit online course (fulfills international requirement, explorations B and cultural diversity) *must be at least a junior to enroll.
- Enroll in HHS 290, a 1-credit online course (fulfills international requirement)
- Course codes will be sent to students during the registration period.
- Please note that students are GUARANTEED to get a spot in the HHS course they select (upon successful completion of the 3 Steps to Participate), so it is not necessary to register exactly during your registration time.
- Students are REQUIRED to participate in an INTERNATIONAL (non-US-based) program related to Health & Human Services. Wildlife/Animal Conservation or Care, Scuba Diving, and IT projects are not approved. If you are unsure if a project is approved, email email@example.com for confirmation.
- Students MUST be in the host country for a minimum of 14 days (or longer, depending on program). Typically, projects run Monday through Friday. Students are required to arrive to the approved program site location NO LATER than the Sunday before their program start date and complete all volunteer/intern hours.
- For IVHQ programs, students must select the 1-day orientation as part of a 2-week volunteer project. While IVHQ offers an Introduction Week with cultural activities, this CANNOT count toward a 2-week volunteer program.
- Programs should be done during winter or summer break and not interfere with SDSU semester dates.
- All SDSU majors may earn credit through our College if they follow the guidelines outlined below. If you are a major outside of the CHHS, please check with your international coordinator or academic advisor to ensure this credit will fulfill your international experience graduation requirement.
- Program fees will vary by organization and destination
- Additional fees include SDSU tuition, CSU mandatory international health insurance, airfare, and personal expenses. Some programs may require a visa and background check as well. Check with the independent provider for details.
- NOTE REGARDING INTERNATIONAL INSURANCE: SDSU Students are required to be enrolled in the CSU’s Foreign Travel Insurance Program (FTIP) typically 30-days prior to departure. For students that are registered through Aztecs Abroad for an approved international program, they will be automatically enrolled in this coverage and billed on their student account. Students do not need to take any additional steps to receive this insurance. As you complete all of the required steps in Aztecs Abroad to confirm your participation, you will receive an email from the ISC’s Study Abroad Office confirming your FTIP enrollment and expected billing date. Details about coverage, including the policy number, can be found here.
Any questions can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org